Monday, December 2, 2013

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Beasts of the Southern Wild was one of the best movies I've seen in a while. I enjoyed the movie in general but there were a few lines that I loved. One of my favorites was "The whole universe depends on everything fitting together just right. If one piece busts, even the smallest piece, the entire universe will get busted." I suppose I enjoyed the movie so much because of how wise and fearless Hushpuppy was. It was amazing that at 6 years old she was able to see the world in one big picture. She knew there was so much more to the universe then her. She was able to comprehend so many things. A few lines that got to me were "When it all goes quiet behind my eyes, I see everything that made me flying around in invisible pieces. I see that I'm a little piece of a big, big universe", and"All the time, everywhere, everything's hearts are beating and squirting and talking to each other in ways I can't understand. Most of the time they probably be saying, 'I'm hungry or I gotta poop' or sometimes they be talking in codes." Hushpuppy was also fearless due to the way her father raised her. I found their relationship to be very interesting. Wink, her father, wanted her to grow up to be strong so she could take care of her self and handle anything that came in her way. He's always rough with her but there is a touch of gentleness because he does love her. My favorite quote from wink was "My only purpose in life is to teach her how to make it," because it sums up all his intentions with the things he does, like when he tells her not to cry or when he has her open up the crab by "beasting" it (opening it up with her hands and eating it like a beast would). In the movie we see Hushpuppy act the way her father told her to. She refuses to leave the Bathtub and when she'd forced to she comes back anyway. She knows what people say about the Bathtub but she doesn't care. She then says "They think we're all gonna drown down here. But we ain't going nowhere", "One day, the storm's gonna blow, the ground's gonna sink and the water's gonna rise up so high ain't gonna be no Bathtub, just a whole bunch of water… But me and my daddy, we stay right here. We is who the earth is for."  and "Everybody loses the thing that made them. It's even how it's supposed to be in nature. The brave men stay and watch it happen, they don't run." Hushpuppy is one of those brave men. When the aurochs approached her she wasn't scared, she looked them straight in the eye because she knew that Strong animals know when your hearts are weak," and she wasn't weak. Another reason I loved Hushpuppy was because she had such big dreams and aspirations and plans of making a name for herself. She says a few times in the movie that "In a million years when kids go to school, they're gonna know, there was a Hushpuppy and she lived with her daddy in the Bathtub." Overall, I loved the movie and it's ability to make the way of life in the bathtub seem normal, at one point I found myself not wanted to see them leave either.
I think this movie fits into our humanity unit because it shows some important traits we have as humans. The movie shows that we are able to solve problems. When the Bathtub floods, they find a way to survive despite the challenges. It also shows we have empathy.It shows a free way of living. They didn't have modern technology, they didn't live in a big city,they had to find their own food not buy it and basically they lived a simple life. They couldn't buy food from a grocery store they had to fish for it themselves. Lastly, it showed us that there are different ways of living and thinking but even with these differences we still have the same characteristics that make us human.

No comments:

Post a Comment